Monday 17 May 2010

new season - new venues

I spent an afternoon scouting around for some new fishing spots - walked a couple of miles of the Grantham canal, the polaroids revelaled some decent shoals of tiny roach, rudd and perch, but for the most part is was much to shallow to be worth fishing and the very skinny 20inch pike I spotted was almost certainly the top of the food chain. The Lady Bay stretch in particular is looking very sorry for itself, the shallow water is choked with blanketweed and a not insignificant amount of litter.
I then took a drive to a pit that I had vowed last year to target for tench before the rivers open. I was a little suprised to find a few anglers there, as on previous visits I have had the place to myself. Its been a hard water for me in the past, stock levels are low and in many respects its a bit of an unknown quantity - but its got specimen water written all over it. I climbed a few trees for a good look at the water but there was no sign of any fish moving, I did spot some interesting gravel bars I had not noticed before and noted some swims that i might need to bait up over the next couple of weeks...

No comments:

Post a Comment