Wednesday 16 June 2010

Rivers are open

Managed to snatch a couple of hours on the Middle Trent to celebrate opening day. It was a scorcher of a day - clear blue sky and 23 degrees with no wind. I didn't fancy my chances and decided that the only real chance of a fish was late evening. At 7:30pm I arrived at the river to find it fairly busy with half a dozen anglers still fishing this popular stretch. A quick chat to a couple of these confirmed that the going had been hard with no fish and not much in the way of bites. The winter had rearranged the bank, and combined with new tree growth it took me a few seconds to orientate myself - however a couple of rodtips poking above the undergrowth confirmed that the spot I wanted to be in was already taken so I dropped 30yds downstream, flattened the 5ft high grass to make some space before folding back some of the curtain of foilage which remained hiding the river...
 Despite trying meat, pelllets in several sizes and boilies i couldn't win a bite, though the guys on the opposite bank breaking branches from the trees to light a fire and shouting at one another and into their mobile phones may not have helped my chances (though they did still catch a few silver fish). Reeled in at half past nine without having a single bite...I'll be back

No comments:

Post a Comment