Wednesday 21 July 2010

Top Tenching and the UKs smallest carp

Only occassionally do I fish commercial pools, on this occassion I joined my father in law, Alan, to burn some time before we went to meet Marie's mum to celebrate her birthday. We went ot the local Coppice Lane Fishery near Lichfield. Fishing with a waggler and double maggot on a size 16 to 3lb line in the downwind corner of the pool I fished the lift for tench and took nine over the course of the afternoon, together with a small carp and lost a better one. As bites dried up on the bottom I edged up 6 inches or so and started getting lots of unhittable bites, dropping to single maggot I must have missed 20 or more before I banked one of the culprits, a beautiful inch and a half long baby common, how he managed to get the size 16 into its mouth I have no idea. I had another couple of these and then finished with a lovely baby mirror of the same size. clearly the carp spawned successfully this year and the youngsters are growing well in the soupy water.

No comments:

Post a Comment