Monday 19 July 2010

trout from a tent

  I'm back from a 1568 mile roadtrip around scotland. I didnt get anything like as much fishing done as i'd hoped but it wasnt exactly fish free either.


  The rods first came out  near Whitebridge, just east of Loch Ness. I drove a few miles from the inn up to Loch Killin. The rain which plagued the trip was holding off, but there was a fairly stiff and cold wind blowing. I worked the shallow margins of the loch with a small floating plug at first, switching later to a mepps. I didnt get any takes, and with hindsight should probably have fished with my fly gear and a tiny nymph, to at least pick up one of the small wild brownies that I had been able to spot
 The other location I fished was a beautiful forestry commission campsite called Cobeland east of Drymen between Loch Lomond and the Trossochs. We managed to get a pitch right on the rivers edge so I was able to fish out of the door of our tent.

 The water was high and coloured so I was lamenting the fact that I didnt have any worms. I was about to go and turn over some stones to see what natural baits I could find when i spotted another guy setting up his rod near the tent, after a quick conversation it turned out he had caught a small trout on floatfished maggot the day before, and, that after another hour or so's fishing this evening he would be done fishing and heading home in the morning; I could have his leftover maggots if I wished. Brilliant!.
With the rod tip poking out of the door of the tent I took three small trout on a bunch of legered maggots crammed onto a size 10 hook, almost without trying.

If Carlsberg made campsites...

No comments:

Post a Comment