Friday 20 August 2010

I'll be back!

I couldn't let that big predator off without at least half an attempt to snare it so I returned to the river this evening equipped with my 12ft heavy spinning rod and a box of lures. I had been planning this anyway as part of an investigation over why there seem to be few small fish around this stretch, thick with predators perhaps? well if it is they weren't very peckish this evening. The conditions were far from pleasurable, I was casting intoa strong and gusty headwind, though at least the rain which had plagued the afternoon had now passed over - the river hadn't coloured up though.
  I did have one incident at the downstream end of the pads when a 3lb pike jumped 2ft clear of the water just a few feet from where i stood, whether i just startled it or whether it just missed the plug i'm not totally sure, and if he was startled i'm not sure who had the biggest shock, me or the pike! I fished up and down the stretch without further incident before reaching the weirpool where I picked up a small perch on a mepps. The low point of the evening was spotting the corpse of a large headless eel thrown up the bank - not only an unneccessary waste, but also now illegal. I wonder if the criminal knew they were killing an endangered species?

No comments:

Post a Comment