Wednesday 18 August 2010

Some fish have it Ruffe

I got back on the pads for a few hours this evening. I started off fishing boilies on one rod just short of the wall about 25metres out, the other cast over the wall into midriver. At about 20:00 I figured an hour and a half  without a bite was long enough and switched the bacon grill for a bunch of 6 or 7 redworms, all broken in half before threading onto the hook to maximise flavour leak off. I stayed with the size10 as I was hoping for an eel. I fished these a few feet beyoond the wall and had a bite first cast, stripping the worms but no hook up. I rebaited and once more mistimed the strike, but third time lucky saw me hook up a fish which came in fairly easily... for the first few turns of the handle... Suddenly the rod doubled over and the clutch squealed as a MASSIVE fish swirled in the pads which topped the wall. whatever it was held on for maybe 15 or 20 seconds, before the pressure released and a 10oz badly wounded perch was cranked in. The fish was marked with 4 5-7mm long but deep gashes on each side, two pairs perhaps.. a big zander maybe?. I toyed with quickly tying a trace on but decided that there was no way my rods would cast the perch back to the wall, and anyway, I'm supposed to be targeting carp. Another small perch managed to sqeeze the size 10 hook into its mouth about 15 minutes later and wasn't grabbed on its way over the wall. I missed another couple of bites before, after sundown I hooked into what I thought was another small perch. as soon as I swung the fish to hand I noted its odd colouring and lifted the dorsal to confirm the identity. With a pair of joined dorsal fins it was a Ruffe, another rarity. I cut the line as the size10 was deep out of sight and weighed it at .06 kg, so somewhere between 55 and 64grams. The real irritation was that the cameraphone refused to play ball - "Battery low!". Thing is, like the bullhead, the A-Z list doesn't have ruffe on it because i thought they would be too difficult to locate and target. Now i've gone and caught one I maybe need to rethink that decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment