Tuesday 17 August 2010

The key to catching a Bullhead

After missing out on the weirpool on sunday, I dropped in to the club committee meeting at 7pm to pick up a key to the gate. I wasn't going to get his close to the river without wetting a line, and checking the key worked, so i got down to the weirpool by about 19:30  -  there were two lads in the swim I would have chosen so i was nudged a few yards upstream and put a boilie out for one  of the carp that sometimes show here. the other rod was set up with a single redworm on a size 18, straight running leger on 6lb mainline, and at different stages, 1, 2 and 3 oz leads as the flow was so variable. My technique was to make each cast to a different location, searching out every bit of the pool, giving it 5 mins touch legering, before recasting to a different spot. my logic was that the swim was full of rocks & stones with hidey holes for bullhead - but that the fish wouldn't venture far from home so I had to hope I got lucky and dropped the tiny worm on his nose.
How lucky was I!!! I was so suprised that it actually worked that I almost did a little dance. Bullhead wasn't actually on the original T&T A-Z as I though it would be too difficult to pull off. If a carp had arrived on cue I wouldnt have even tried to pick one up. Could I repeat the capture, I very much doubt it, but you never know, maybe one day I'll try again...
You might have noted the relatively heavy hooklength - a sign that I thought a decent perch might put in an appearance, it didn't... before the bullhead I picked up a two small roach and two small perch.  Of course the bolie didn't get a touch, but I packed up at about 21:30 a very happy man

No comments:

Post a Comment