Monday 4 July 2011

What a difference a day makes

I had baited the swim at lunchtime today. The hay was being cut and the place has changed enough to confuse me about exactly where the peg was, it feels like a completely different location to 24 hours ago.

Another 6kg of stewed wheat along with 1kg of peanuts went into the swim, again favouring the spots that were to be baited. Later that day events took an unexpected course, it may be a while before Mentalor features here again... Marie headed off to comfort his estranged wife, and after twiddling my thumbs for half an hour I decided that a couple of hours on the river bank to ponder what it all means was called for. I was back on the pads by half past eight.
I was not alone, I met James and Mick, out in the club boat scouting around, they arrived in my peg at the exact same moment as me – I asked in a loud whisper if they could see any fish, the answer was no. I pointed out the obvious, that I was baiting it, and as they marvelled at the cleared area, I explained I had been in there with the rake,. Though clearly some hungry mouths seem to be doing good job of polishing the bottom from time to time. "fishiest looking spot on the whole section" said James, I smiled to myself thet the effort had created a good peg, at least in theory.
The rods went out and the three of us compared notes for an hour or so. The seasons tally for the pads is just the two fish, there is no talk of anyone sneaking one out without being noticed. by the time it got dark it was not looking like I would be adding to this count.

As the night rolled on I tapped away at keyboard of my netbook, finishing off the abstract for a conference paper I am writing then turning my attention to updating the blog. Which is where I am at 23:31... I should probably pack up now... but I'll leave it for another 20mins – away at midnight, biteless and fishless again no doubt.

No comments:

Post a Comment