Thursday 4 August 2011

Line bite and loach

It was a fairly warm and still evening, though the temperature has dropped significantly from the 24c of last night. I rolled up at the pads at about 7pm, optimistically targeting the carp once more with boilies over pellets. Of course it was to be another fishless evening, interrupted by a solitary, but significant line bite. The main purpose of the session was surveillance, the conditions were quite still, and I had a 150 degree vista of 3/4 mile of river.

If fish were rolling anywhere I would have seen them. it just reinforces the results that people have been getting at this end of the river... for whatever reason the fish just don't seem to be around.

 As well as long range surveillance I was also on a micro species lookout, highlight of the evening was the capture of a spined loach, albeit only via the waterproof camera... At the time I thought it was a stone loach, but a closer look at the photos, in particular the regularity of the markings on its sides makes me 90% sure its a spiny.


 I'll need to start bringing the size 32 hooks to have a chance of wrangling that one... even then, since they feed by filtering mud for microscopic invertebrates its probably an impossible task, maybe the only UK fish thats impossible to catch on rod and line. Still they are a pretty scarce and geographically limited fish, so even if this is the closest I ever get to catching one I'm still pretty happy.



After watching the moonset I noticed a very faint but strange flickering in the sky at around midnight, barely noticable really. There is an active sunspot at the moment - hints of the aurora borealis perhaps?




No comments:

Post a Comment