Tuesday 2 August 2011

Wanye at the weir

I took Wanye down to the weir after work. The peg I had hoped for was taken, so we fished the tail end of the weirpool. Wanye was on a maggot feeder and I fished a pair of rods on the alarms with boilies.


 It only took 20 minutes before the rod baited with a spicy prawn popup screamed off and I was connected to a strong fish. Only for a few seconds though... The line went slack, and once retrieved revealed the hook length had parted in the middle. Sharp rock? Swan mussel?... Whatever it had failed with a fish running on a fairly slack clutch. I tried to push to the back of my mind the possibility that it may have been a carp... Much more likely to be a barbel.

With Wanye not raising much interest to his feeder I tried trotting a pair of maggots down on a chubber float, picked up a few minnows and a chublet. Eventually Wanye started getting some bites, picking up gudgeon, dace and perch.



As the sun lowered we were harangued by biting midges... Ultimately they were to send us packing by 21:30.



No comments:

Post a Comment